Are You an Out of the Box Photographer?

Sandy Hook-1075-Edit1-Edit2-2

Seems like an odd question, but is it? Many people consider OOTB (Out of the Box) thinking to be crazy and out of control- but is it? Not to me, I feel it is more about pushing the boundaries than anything else. It’s about trying out new ideas, seeing something with fresh eyes. It is also about tapping into that part of your brain which may not conform to other people’s rules. Isn’t that just being yourself? I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I am wondering why we view things as OOTB- who’s box? And who decides what is in and what is out? Any thoughts on this?

______________________________________________________________ denise ippolito

Fort DeSoto In-the-field Workshop: FEB 25. Pre-dawn -10:30am. Limit 16. Includes a great lunch: $275.

On Monday morning, February 25, Artie and I will be co-leading a morning In-the-Field Workshop at Fort DeSoto, south of St. Petersburg, FL. Likely subjects will include a variety of tame herons, egrets, gulls, terns, and shorebirds. Join us for a chance to practice what you learned in the seminar. The fee includes a great lunch at the sumptuous Sea Porch Café in the Don Cesar Hotel on St. Petersburg Beach. We’d be glad to look at some of your images from the morning if you bring your laptop. And we will be glad to do a critique of three of your images via e-mail after the workshop. Best to bring a change of clothes for the lunch Smile emoticon.
A strict first come/first served limit of 16, openings 2.
You can call Jim or Jennifer at 863-692-0906

Weekend Creative Nature Photography Seminar, Tampa, FL: February 23 & 24, 2013: $149 with Arthur Morris & Denise Ippolito
CLICK IMAGE FOR DETAILS & SIGN-UP

[Not a valid template]

Flower Photography Seminar/Workshop March 22-23, 2013 ~ $99 with Denise Ippolito
Sponsored by Hunts Photo
CLICK IMAGE FOR DETAILS & SIGN-UP

[Not a valid template]

Don’t forget to check out the MiniMag
i-SwPDX82-XL

B&H Photo Video Pro Audio

photography Pro Audio Computers and Solutions Portable Entertainment Home Entertament photography

Support my efforts here at A Creative Adventure by making a variety of purchases using the multiple links in the logo above. Remember, B&H ain’t just photography! Another way to support my blog is to use the Amazon link below for your purchases, thank you :)

Love your question “who’s box”? I think “boxes” are cultural and of the familiar. This makes it some what of a majority thing. Getting “out of the box” means leaving your comfort zone and exploring other possibilities. It means not only leaving what is familiar to you but what is familiar to those you identify with (your “tribe”) and those places you identify with. In photography I think the majority feel comfortable with “reality” images. It is what they see with their eyes everyday. With this line of reasoning, images departing from reality are out-of-the-box. I love being OOTB!

2. Dennis Bishop says:

Great questions, Denise. And great response, Nancy. (It may take me a while to finish this, so if someone’s response gets between mine and Nancy’s I won’t have read it.)

“Isn’t that just being yourself?” That’s where I see myself in regards to OOTB. It’s where I live most of the time whether doing photography or something else. If there were a measure of out-of-the-boxness, I suppose many photographers would put me way out near the end of it. But, it’s only because I’m aware of that reaction from others that I’d even think I was pushing boundaries. It’s not a conscious decisioin. Rather, it just happens. Always has, I guess. It was certainly pre-digital. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

3. Rich Hahn says:

I take pictures to please myself. If others like the px that is good & if they donot, so be it. I am not one for rules so if I think the bird or chipmunk or what ever the subject is look better in the middle of the photo, then that it where it will be.

To me you take the pictures and then play with it. Between digital pictures & the computer software available, the choices are endless with what the finished project is going to be. And as Arthur Morris stated above it does not cost anything.

I use to stress myself trying to get that perfect picture but I try to not let that happen as much. Don’t get me wrong because I still want those killer shots, but if it happens it was meant to & now I can enjoy being out in nature with my son that much more.

Love your blog & thank you.

4. Beautiful image Denise! I agree with you wholeheartedly. I have always been someone who likes to push the boundaries and see what I could come up with. Excellent post to ponder!

5. Steve Adkins says:

I have enjoyed and agreed with these thoughtful and insightful responses on OOTB. For me, the essence of OOTB, is to go somewhere I haven’t been before and attempt to create an image that pleases and “interests” me. Simple to say… sometimes not so simple to do. It is a lot of fun experimenting and our connections with people like Denise bring us something new to try every day! Absolutely love the image!

6. debra Keller says:

The artist stands behind the camera and the camera, like a paint brush serves as an instrument to convey an idea. You can choose to take it straight up and call it “photography,” or you can use the image you captured to piece together the emotion, composition, and final piece that enticed you to take the subjects photo in the first place. I say never allow rules to get in the way of creativity and art. Beautiful image as always my friend!

7. Ron says:

When I saw this, my thoughts immediately translated it to “thinking outside the box”. Regardless, of how you state it, if you are not thinking outside of “something”, then you need to be. To me, OOTB is the essence of creativity. For some, it may simply be turning the camera sideways, for others it may be venturing into the unknown of things like HDR imagery. For others, it may be going completely outside, literally, and shooting nature and landscapes.

To me, this is the value and wealth to be found in digital photography. You can try so many things, both in your camera and in your digital darkroom that this medium opens up a world OOTB that more of us can dare to venture into. It is only through venturing forth into this new world that I have found a release for what I consider to be my creative inner self. It may not be the same as anyone else’s creative self, but it is mine and mine alone and the possibilities, for me, are endless.

8. Susan Dimock says:

I love your question and all of the responses! Who’s box? It’s such a good question. All I know is that pushing the limits of photography is so much fun…the element of discovery and surprise I think are the things that draw me in. I got hooked into your blog and work because it helped me feel a sense of freedom as I move towards defining who I am as a photographer. That non-judgemental, permission/ encouragement to experiment that is one of the trademarks (as I see it) of Denise Ippolito’s blog and Minimag is an awesome gift to photographer’s such as myself.

9. denise says:

Wow! These are all great responses and I agree with you all. I am glad that I am not alone in my thinking :) :)