Low Country Paintings

All of these images were captured in Charleston. They were all processed using Topaz Impressions. I love the quaint streets of downtown Charleston and the manicured look of the houses. Walking around the town one gets a sense of tranquility. There are so many details to capture and so many mini-scenes. In addition to the downtown area there are multiple plantation homes to visit. No wonder it is a top tourist destination. So much to see…

Image © 2015/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Cleland Kinlock Huger House, 1858.
7 image stitched pano-handheld, then I flipped the one side for symmetry. I cover flipping images in my newest eBook “A Guide to Creative Filters and Effects II”

Creating a Hand Held Pano
I always work in Manual Mode. When creating panos you should too. In addition, it is important to set the White Balance rather than work in Auto White Balance. Why? The lighting might differ from frame to frame and the camera may make adjustments that you don’t want, adjustments that would cause exposure or color mismatches. Work in Manual Mode and set your chosen White Balance to ensure the consistency of your exposures.

I overlap each of my captures by 15%. The number of captures varies depending on how many images are needed to cover the entire scene. Working on a tripod is almost always best, but I rarely do. I do, however, try to be as steady as I can for each capture. To create the seven images for this pano I started in the center, reframed three times to the right, and then reframed three times to the left.

Then I let Photoshop merge them by going to File > Automate > Photomerge. When the dialog box opens you will need to choose the appropriate files after first browsing to the correct folder. After your images are loaded choose the layout; I chose Cylindrical for this one. Next hit OK. Photoshop does a pretty good job of lining things up. It is important to check the merged image carefully. Then you can process it anyway that you want. Here I chose to add a painterly look to mine.

* I am not recommending that all of your panos be captured hand held; I am saying that if you are out without your tripod or pano plate you can still create a nice pano.

Image © 2015/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Drayton Hall (tripods not allowed inside), 12 image stitched-handheld pano

Image © 2015/Denise Ippolito Photography

Image © 2015/Denise Ippolito Photography

Image © 2015/Denise Ippolito Photography

1. Muriel says:

These are all lovely. Thank you for the instructions on how to create a hand held pano. You are always so good at sharing tips and it is appreciated.

2. All nice as expected but for the fact that I am not a big fan of the wreath image :). However, the two panos are amazing for their technical execution and beauty. With the 2nd image you noted that you “flipped one side for symmetry.” I am not sure that folks understand the amazing clean-up job that followed. And the Drayton Hall 12 frame pano is totally over-the-top beautiful; Topaz Impressions rocked that one!

a

You really captured the genteel southern beauty of Charleston! The image of the Huger house is especially lovely with Topaz impressions.

4. Absolutely wonderful, Denise. Your compositions as well as the processing are superb. Anyone who thinks that photography is not art simply must review your portfolio to learn otherwise.

I’ve only recently started playing with a few Topaz products. Clearly I need to evaluate a few more.

5. Andrea Boyle says:

I want to get your new e-mail book but don’t want to use Paypal (due to the litigation they are now in with the Feds.) Any options?

PS: LOVE your Charleston photos!

6. denise says:

Hi Muriel, thank you, glad to share with friends 🙂 I will be seeing you soon! Can’t wait.

Hi Len, I guess you can tell I like Charleston 🙂

Hi Karen, thank you kindly!

Thanks Artie, I love the way that both panos turned out.

Hi Nancy, thank you so much!

Hi Jeff, I appreciate your kind words 🙂

Thank you kindly Sue!

H Joyce, thank you so much!

Thank you Andrew, much appreciated.

Hi Chuck, thank you kindly!

Hi Andrea, I see that you purchased it last night, thank you for your support.
    The site allows credit card payment.

7. Stephen Sheoskie says:

As usual very creative , I wish you would hold a post processing class for 2-3 days in the immediate future that’s if your schedule would slow down .

8. denise says:

Hi Stephen, I actually have some post=processing workshop in the works now-to be announced soon!

9. Francis says:

Your images are always so creative. You are always teaching photographers to see the creative potential of all subjects – I appreciate this aspect.

10. Gretchen says:

Simply gorgeous all around Denise. The Drayton Hall image is spectacular with the bluish color. Your ability to hand hold this type of creation is awesome. I don’t know when or where your post processing workshop will be but sign me up!! :))

11. denise says:

Hi Francis, thank you very much. I appreciate the support!

Hi Gretchen, thank you very much! I will let you know as soon as I get some dates nailed down 🙂 thanks.

12. Pamela Cohen says:

Hi Denise….
    Since we were on those shoots together, it is interesting to see your take. The panos really rock,,,, !!!!! With only seconds that we had to make the shots of the staircase inside Drayton, I can’t believe you came up with that…. soooooo good!!!!! And downtown Charleston,,,,, what isn’t to love about photographing there?
    Wishing you well with workshops at the Palouse….p ~

13. denise says:

Hi Pam, I am glad that it came out as well as it did-I have to admit, I was skeptical!

14. Pingback: Old Car City | A CREATIVE ADVENTURE photography by denise ippolito