Spring Softness

To create the look above I started by photographing a bunch of tulips on my Lightpad. I arranged them in a random order. I used my ArtoGraph brand Lightpad approximately 8×10 inches. You can buy one on Amazon, just watch because the price fluctuates. Also you could use an old film Light box. They even sell cheaper models at craft stores. The idea is to get some light below the flowers to help create a high-key/translucent effect.

Now for the fun part. I brought the image into Photoshop and duplicated it. Then used the Transform Tool and reduced the opacity of the top layer and rotated it. Next I added a layer mask to do some edge clean up. I repeated the process again, except this time I used the warp tool found inside the Transform Tool and warped the flowers until I liked the composition. I did some more edge clean up with a layer mask.

To finish off the look I added a slight bit of Fractalius (a Windows only Photoshop Plug-in) you could use Topaz Glow and apply the Fur and Feathers II filter instead if you are a MAC user. After I was happy with the effect of the plug-in I added a new layer and filled it with white at 100% opacity. Then with a layer mask I revealed some of the flowers and stems making sure I still had a soft ethereal look. You can increase the color and tonality with some Photoshop tweaks. I wanted it to be completely different than the one below and I loved the soft white look.

Image ยฉ 2016/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Another version with a texture applied and Topaz Glow with some finishing touches in Nik Color Efex.

To learn more about using the Warp Tool or adding a texture or Topaz Glow to an image check out my eBook A Guide to Creative Filters & Effects II.

CLICK ON THE ABOVE IMAGES FOR A LARGER, SHARPER VIEW.

The Art of Photography
Art is an expression, a feeling, a liberation, a vision. It has a heartbeat of its own that lives inside of you. It is something that you take everywhere you go. I am not talking about the education of art or the โ€œI graduated from Art Schoolโ€ claims. I am talking about the soul that cannot rest until its vision is complete. The passion that takes over to pursue a dream or a whim. The beginning with no end in mind, the start of something fresh, an idea, a thought, an impression, a faint notion, an awakeningโ€ฆ

denise ippolito 2013

1. Gretchen Cole says:

Love these Denise. They bring a breath of fresh air to the current wintery doldrums. What do you mean by cleaning up the edges?

Hi Gretchen, When you rotate the top layer it will show overlaps that need to be cleaned up via a layer mask. Hope that helps ๐Ÿ™‚

2. John Rowell says:

The soft translucent qualities of the first image makes it my favorite. Very nice.

Thank you very much for commenting John, much appreciated!

3. David Steele says:

Special images, your lightpad work is always super. Thanks for sharing your technique.

Hi David, thank you kindly. Comments like this keep me going ๐Ÿ™‚

Gorgeous and inspirational! Thanks for the precise techniques.

Thank you Nancy, glad you like it ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Bob Miller says:

Love it! Thanks so much for your details about techniques. It helps me learn how to use some of these plug ins in a more creative way!
    Thanks again!

Hi Bob, Thank you kindly, glad you enjoyed it.

Denise, I love both images, the first being my favourite. I am not sure what “Photoshop tweaks” are ;-), but I am sure they all help.

Thanks so much Ron!

7. Hi Denise,

Both images are very good and a pleasure to see. I prefer the first image. It really screams artistry!

Marc

Hi Marc, thank you kindly. I love that one too ๐Ÿ™‚

8. Stephen Ellis says:

Beautiful Denise! Curious, is the background a separate texture?

Thanks Steve, For the first one, there is no texture added. For the second one I added a texture with the Russel Brown texture panel extension in Photoshop CC.

9. schuyler richardson says:

Thanks Denise,
    You’re always so generous in sharing your tips and beautiful techniques. Am so looking forward to Longwood this March!!!

Hi Schuyler, can’t wait to see you! Thanks so much!

10. Rene' Lauer says:

Lovely images Denise! Thank you for sharing your technique for this effect. …just in time to bring some spring warmth into our homes.

Thanks so much Rene, I appreciate your taking the time to comment.

11. Gretchen says:

Thanks so much Denise for sharing your process! I love the ethereal look you so masterfully created. Beautiful photo art! ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you Gretchen, I appreciate your kind words.

12. Both are fabulous Denise, but the first one knocked my socks off…one of your very best creative images to date!!!

Thanks so much Andrew, that means a lot ๐Ÿ™‚

13. carol Carson says:

Belatedly, I am delighted that you are sharing tips on the use of the Lightpad. As Artie said, the first one is “very you.” Thanks for sharing.

Thanks so much Carol, and thank you again for all your help with the eBook.