Creating your own Textures

Creating a texture from your base image is easy and takes only a few minutes and a bit of creativity. I use my base image (shown below) to create a texture that will go on top of that same base image. By duplicating my base image and cloning the flower part of the image at 60% and adding it randomly to the background, then adding a slight amount of Gaussian Blur, I am able to create a soft golden layer which I use as my texture. Then I apply one of the blend modes and finish the look off by warping the flower. It is very easy to create a soft look from a hard looking flower capture, you just have to work at it sometimes. I like using my base image to create a texture because the color tones are similar and it seems more cohesive to me. I have another technique that I use to create a texture from a base image; that one is covered in depth in my newest filter guide- “A Guide to Creative Filters and Effects II”.

Image © 2016/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Base image

Image © 2016/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Topaz Glow 2

For the effect above I went a step further with my image processing, duplicating the image and repeating it onto itself. Then I used Topaz Glow 2 for the final touch at a very reduced opacity.

1. Dennis Bishop says:

Thanks very much — for the explanation and for sharing the results. I think the key to the texture creation is the cloning of the flower and subsequent blurring. It gives a great effect.

Hi Dennis, glad to see you are still around 🙂 Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

2. Carlotta Grenier says:

I love this with its gentle feel and colors. Thank you for sharing

Hi Carlotta, glad you like it! thanks.

3. Sue Eberhart says:

Thank you for highlighting this beautiful technique. This is my afternoon project.

Hi Sue, can’t wait to see what you come up with! Thanks.

4. Sandi Brittain says:

Thank you for sharing these wonderful techniques! I am new to your blog, but do own your ebooks and constantly go to them for inspiration and instruction. I have a question, — do you load your own textures into Topaz Texture Effects and use it, or how do you keep all of your textures organized so you can find just the right one. My texture file is growing and it is difficult to find just what I’m looking for, so I’m curious how you handle that. Thank you again for sharing and inspiration!

Hi Sandi,
    I have a folder which is a desktop shortcut titled “Textures”, that folder is actually located on my hard drive but I keep the shortcut on my desktop for easy access. I have all of my textures stored in there. I size them at approx. 2000 pixels on the long side and they are all jpegs. I have them separated by subfolders, some titled: summer, floral, autumn, grunge, etc… I try to organize them all that way as I don’t like to be confined to one program.
    hope that helps, thank you.

5. Pam Gaynor says:

Thanks Denise for sharing this beautiful technique. I am going to try it now.

Hi Pam, Glad you like it, thanks for stopping by.

6. Francis says:

Thank you once again for a very interesting technique – much appreciated.

Anytime Francis, thank you for your kind support of my work.

7. Jay S Kaplan says:

Lovely, I started going back to Bloomin’ Ideas. What a fantastic workbook to have at hand.

Hi Jay, thank you very much. I appreciate your kind words.

8. Diane Visintainer says:

Hi Denise,

I am very interested in ordering your book “A Guide to Creative Filters & Effects ll. I do have a question about ordering it because I have limited skills in using photoshop.

In your book, do you explain in detail how to duplicate the base image or cloning the image, etc.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks, Diane

Hi Diane, My Creative Filters & Effects II Guide is written with step by step instructions for Window and Mac users. I think you will be fine.

9. Evelyn Young says:

Really stunning.Thanks for sending us your wonderful tutorial. I am looking forward to meeting you and taking one of your workshops when you come in september to Montreal.

Hi Evelyn, thank you, I look forward to meeting you!

10. Tom Gettys says:

I *really* like the effect you created, and would like to try it, but I’m afraid I don’t understand the core statement: “clone the flower part at 60% and adding it randomly to the background”. I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain what that means to a novice such as myself!

Hi Tom,
    Yes, clone the portion of the image that contains the flower, set your opacity to 60%, then clone it over the background area. This may be too advanced for you and you may want to start off with one of my eBooks, it gives step by step instruction on several techniques. I would recommend my Bloomin’ Ideas (the updated version) eBook. Hope that helps, and good luck.