Iceland Adventures

I’m in the middle of an amazing trip to Iceland. I chose to go in October in hopes of capturing some dramatic skies and conditions. The weather can be extreme and very unpredictable. That said, there is also a good chance that it will rain everyday. However, the breaks in the weather are fantastic and can be special. I am experiencing rain, sleet, hail, snow and cloudy conditions as well as bright sunshine. I’ve also had my first experience with seeing the Northern Lights. I was so impressed and in awe of the beautiful show I saw on my first night here. It was a treat for sure and my friend and I stayed out almost all night long watching and waiting.

I had a private client that met up with me for four days. During which time we covered the Southern portion of Iceland together. He wanted to photograph the icebergs, horses, waterfalls, and glaciers so my friend and I took him to some of our favorite spots. We needed to be flexible to maximize our photography and Ray was as easy going as they come. We had Lobster soup at one of my favorite restaurants and everyone agreed it was the best they ever had. The food can be pricey with hotel restaurants charging anywhere from $30.00US to $80.00US for an entree.

All of the images in this post were captured with the EOS 5DS R DSLR Camera . I also used the SonyAlpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera for the 2 Northern Light shots below. The camera is amazing and using focus peaking at night really helped with the focus.

The very top image of Gullfoss was photographed at sundown. I would have preferred a morning shoot at that location from a different angle but I thought that the lower portion might be closed due to high winds and snow so I went in the evening-yes, it was closed off and the only shot was from the top. I created my pie shot instead of the one that I wanted to capture there.

We had some good opportunities on one of the days to capture some reflections so we drove around and stopped at every reflection that caught our eye. We also had 3 completely different photo shoots at Vestrahorn. Each with their own challenges. The one day the wind gusts were hurricane strength and my friend and I took turns blocking each others camera so that we could get a shot. We’ve been fighting fierce winds but for some reason those conditions make you feel more alive!

Here are some of my favorite images so far. It’s suppose to be nice out tomorrow, so I gotta get some sleep. I hope to post more soon.

1. Sue Eberhart says:

Oh my I knew the images would be special and I am not disappointed! Wonderful!

Hi Sue, thank you kindly, I hope to get a few more opportunities!

2. Pat Lillich says:

Denise – these are spectacular!!! with the uncertain weather, are you thinking of ever doing an october/november workshop there? so beautiful!

Hi Pat, I would definitely come back again in late October. I’m thinking about an Iceland trip for next October/November. The weather is tough and folks would have to be prepared but I think it’s a fantastic time.

3. Lee Levin-Friend says:

Enticing work, Denise! What were the temperatures , on average? I am sure the wind chill on the blustery days was not pleasant. Would you do this time of year again?

Hi Lee, Thank you! I would definitely come back in October/November again. Average temps have been 0-8 celsius for the daytime weather temps.

4. Ed says:

Photo keepers , , National Geographic worthy , to be different , always thinking outside the box , bravo ….

Thank you so much Ed, I appreciate it.

Excellent set of images. Changing weather helps get a variety of images. I experienced the same type of weather in Banff last month.

Hi James, thank you so much!

Great shots Denise. Isn’t the Aurora amazing. I find it a spectacular thing to photograph. This place is definitely on my bucket list.

Hi Ron, yes, I love the Aurora! Thank you!

7. Adit Merkine says:

Hi Denise,

Great images, as always!
    Are you considering of a workshop in Iceland in Oct./Nov. 2017/2018?

Safe trips!
    Hugs,

Adit

Hi Adit, thank you so much! Yes, I am considering an Oct/Nov for 2017.

8. Elizabeth Combes says:

Wow.. theses images are spectacular to say the least … I am so looking forward to meeting you in March and experiencing your amazing eye for detail . Kind regards Liz combes

Hi Liz, thank you so much and I am looking forward to working with you too!

9. Denise Dewire says:

Wow! Spectacular. Those Northern Light shots are awesome. Can’t wait to see more images from your trip.

Thank you Denise, much appreciated! I hope I get a few more…

10. Steve Lodwick says:

OMG….Denise you really have a special talent for capturing the obvious beauty in landscapes. Wish I were there. I really miss Iceland. Get some rest my friend.

Hi Steve,

Thanks so much, I truly appreciate it.

11. Becky Bowling says:

Extremely fabulous as usual!!

Hi Becky, hope to see you soon, if not thank you anyway for reaching out. Thanks again for the comment.

12. Steven Sanders says:

Great work Denise-We’re going in Feb. and appreciate your beautiful images and tips.

Thanks Steven, have fun!

13. Alan Lillich says:

I saw aurora for the first time last month in Alaska. I was amazed at how fast the shapes changed. Successive 5 second exposures would look quite different – I had to just shoot when things were happening and see what was captured later.

I love shooting the aurora Alan, it was my first experience, though short lived and not as extreme as I was hoping it was still a fantastic time! Agree about how fast the scene changes!

Totally spectacular!! Love them all! You are an artiste magnifique!

Thanks so much Nancy, I appreciate it!

15. Vicki says:

Bravo Denise! Thanks for making the effort to share in the middle of your trip. Safe travels and continued good photo opps!!

Hi Vicki, thanks os much for looking and commenting!

16. Andrae K. Acerra says:

Denise – The photos are spectacular and I would say the trip is a success. I love the Northern Lights and wonder why Sony a7rII and not the Olympus mirrorless. Thank you in advance. I hope in your trip report you will discuss some of the settings that you used for these amazing shots.

Hi Andrae, The Sony has a full frame sensor and 40 mega pixels, it also is easy to get focus peeking in low light conditions. It has a great dynamic range and in my opinion is a fantastic landscape camera.
    Thanks,

17. Hi Denise…these are all outstanding…I love the northern lights scenes the best..I have never seen them like this before…I need to go much further north from my home or go to Iceland 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your trip and safe travels home!

Thanks so much Andrew!

18. bill hedges says:

OMG! Stunning images Denise! Can’t wait ’till next year.

Hi Bill, thank you so much. I can’t wait either, I sent out the additional info for Iceland and we are good to go!! Whoohoo!

19. Great images. I’m surprised at how similar the conditions seem to be with what we saw in March. Any plans to go in the summer?

Hi Richard, I have a camping/photo tour scheduled for August of 2017. I am also planning a return visit in January if possible and a workshop next October.
    thanks, denise

20. Michael Zajac says:

Great pictures Denise.

Thanks Michael, it was great and so was your driving! We had fun.

21. Absolutely stunning–I want to capture Iceland hopefully one day soon! As always-your work is so inspiring. I especially liked to ice rock beach/surf images-magical!

Thank you Donna, much appreciated!