Topaz Impression & Glow Combo

I arrived in Florida a couple of days ago and my first trip was out to a lake to look for birds…what else? Well, instead of birds we found these beautiful moss filled trees. The lighting was nice and portions of the background were backlit. I took advantage of the sweet light and created these two images. I used my Olympus OlympusOM-D E-M1 Mark II Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera with the ED 12-40mm f/2.8 handheld. I liked the way the moss was softly blowing and I wanted my image to reflect that feel. I decided to add a touch of Topaz Impression to help create the look I had in mind. Once it came out of Impression I took the image into Topaz Glow to add a few lines. In Topaz Glow I used the Fur & Feathers filter and reduced the opacity to around 25%. Then the image went into my favorite software program- Nik (Google) Color Efex. In Color Efex I added the high-key filter along with glamour glow to finish off the look. I did the same for both images that were captured only minutes apart. Even though they look similar in processing, they have a completely different feel to me. Which do you like and why. I’ll share my thoughts on why I created both images, later.

1. Pam Corckran says:

I like the top one. It pops a little more for me. Both images are terrific. I will see you Saturday.

Hi Pam, thanks so much, see you Saturday!

2. Wendy Kates says:

Really nice. I like the top one best because of the depth that the trees in the background creates. Your post – processing is creative and very effective. Which Topaz Impression filter did you use?

Hi Wendy, I used the Colored Pencil at a very reduced opacity, with some tweaks. Thanks!

3. Sue Eberhart says:

Can’t decide, love both. Can you share where you took these images as I might have some extra time in Florida?

Hi Sue, Lake Kissimmee State Park, thanks and see you soon!

4. Muriel McClellan says:

Both are great. You are amazing with trees. Most of us would just walk past… but you see the great opportunity there.

Hi Muriel, thank you, you are so sweet.

5. Tom Rostron says:

Both are Awesome but I like the second one the best because of the composition. I just like the way it fills the frame

Thanks so much Tom, I appreciate it.

6. Kasandra Sproson says:

I absolutely love the bottom one. Why? It reminds me of a magical land of ice and snow. The moss looks whimsical, like soft, flowing icicles.

Hi Kassandra, thank you so much, nice description!

7. Grahame Hamblin says:

Love the second one a dog or figure would’ve sent it into another world. I do like second best.

Thanks Grahame, no dogs around. There was a GBH but he wanted no part in the picture that day! Maybe I’ll add one for fun!

Super tough decision…but if forced I pick #2. There is more of that sweeping Spanish moss giving this almost an ethereal look. You certainly know how to capture the essence of a tree! They must whisper in your ear 🙂

Thank you Nancy, I like number 2 best for the colors and the soft sweep of moss.

9. Ginger white says:

Although they are both lovely (as usual) I prefer the second one due to the composition, color and effects that were used. It’s a little more natural to me. I take many shots of these trees in SC. Didn’t know they were in Florida too!

Hi Ginger, I see them all over Florida but at Lake Kissimmee State Park there are some nice ones.

10. Marsha Gibson says:

Both are lovely Denise! I like the composition of the second one but choose the first one for the colors.

Thanks Marsha for sharing your thoughts.

11. Ann says:

I like the first one best, but am hard pressed to say why. The second one is a bit too blurred maybe. Wish I could be more specific.

Thank you Ann for sharing your thoughts.

12. Jan Schumacher says:

Beautiful images, Denise! I love the flowing spanish moss in the 2nd image and the huge low branches on the oak tree in the background close to the ground. I live in Central Florida ~ where did you take these?

Thank you Jan, I appreciate it. I photographed them both at Lake Kissimmee State Park.
    PS-Welcome to my blog.

13. Neil Hickman says:

Interesting that you used Color Efex LAST in this workflow. I love the dark gnarly trunk in one and the light flowing moss in two. Both are lovely.

Yes, I often adjust the color tones after the fact as I am never quite sure what the filters will produce in the way of color.

14. Martin Turner says:

Love the muted colors and ethereal look of the shots!

Thank you kindly Martin, I appreciate it.

15. Lesliediana says:

I wavered between both but finally decided I liked #2 better. The tree in #1 is almost too centered and I have an affinity for off-centered. Also, I like the lean towards the neutral colors of #2. #1 is almost a bit too warm.

Hi Lesliediana, Thanks so much for your comments, the first one-I just checked falls right on the ROT grid, not that I am a slave to that but I was curious after your comment, it does lean heavily toward the center though.

Denise, great shots and great processing. This is a prime example of how processing really makes the final image. Which one do I like better? Hard to say, as they are both great. If you forced me to pick, then #2 would win by just a bit – not much though. 🙂

At which Florida lake did you find these – just curious.

Hi Ron, Thank you so much. I photographed these at Lake Kissimmee State Park.

17. Liz Lauer says:

Wow! They’re both drop dead gorgeous. If I had to choose, I’d go with the second one because I absolutely love the composition and the hanging moss almost touches the ground. I do agree with one of the comments liking the colors of the first one which are nice and warm. I also like the way the light shines off of the trunk. They’re both exquisite.

Hi Liz, thank you so much for your kind comments.

18. Angela says:

Both gorgeous! My favorite is the first one for the colors and the detail in the truck. Just love the effects in both.

Hi Angela, thank you so much!

19. Alan Lillich says:

Looking from my phone, I like the second one better. At first I preferred the top one but the more I looked the better the second felt. The curve of the tree is nice and the small bushes on the left of the top image became distracting.

Thanks Alan, I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

20. denise says:

The strong tree branches of the top image initially caught my eye. I liked the dark branches and moss canopy. THEN, I turned my head and saw the second tree with amazing soft light touching the weeping moss as it drifted back and forth. I loved the flow of the branches and I couldn’t wait to get home to process it. So my vote goes to the second image but the first one has some beautiful color tones and lighting-so I did both…why choose???
    Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and there is never a right answer when it comes to art. It is only what makes your heart sing.

21. saify says:

Hi,
    I like the first as it has more depth and I like the glow effect which is more pronounced because of the back lighting.

Hi Saify, thank you, much appreciated.

22. Louise McLaughlin says:

I like the second tree the best also for the same reasons others have mentioned. However, I am distracted with the tree branches laying down in the background. These branches are so defined and harsh compared to the soft easy flow of the moss of the tree in the foreground. I wish it were softer or less focused. Just my thought on a terrific post-processed image.

Thank you Louise for sharing your thoughts. I appreciate it.

23. Steve Scott says:

Your perceptive view of a common sight (live oaks with moss) is much appreciated. I’m going to head out today and try my luck! Thanks for sharing this great post.

Thank you and good luck, would be interested in what you come up with.

24. Denise Dewire says:

Both beautiful, but my favorite is #2. Love the softness of the moss.

Thanks so much Denise, I appreciate it 🙂

25. Tony Botelho says:

Love both of them, but #1 is my favorite. I absolutely love the moss covered tree in # 2 but not the tree behind it. To me it looks like if I walked to close to it, it would grab me, were as in # 1 this beautiful photo has such a peaceful feeling to it. But that being said I really, really love the tree in # 2 and the way you have framed it. So I’m switching to #2 as my favorite and just won’t go to close to the trees in the background.

Hi Tony, thank you so much! I appreciate the kind words.

I like the warmer first one, and the slight show of a breeze. Both are really nice!

27. Pingback: Creative Edits | A CREATIVE ADVENTURE photography by denise ippolito

28. Laurel gilbride says:

Denise, I love the whites of the second image and it’s cottonlike feel. Wonderful. Laurel gilbbride

Hi Laurel, thank you very much.