Florida Photos

So far my time in Florida has been wonderful. The weather has cooperated and to some degree so have the birds. I was fortunate enough to have had one early morning sunrise and one incredible sunset during my scouting time before my group arrived. The sunrise silhouette of a Great Blue Heron above was captured at Viera Wetlands in the pre dawn. I got up extra early that morning and I am sure glad that I did. In Lightroom I made some color tweaks to enhance the colors and to enhance the silhouette I also made a curve adjustment.

For the sunset shot above I was photographing the sun setting and turned around and saw the moon. Then I saw the Great Blue Heron and then I saw the color and if that wasn’t enough…after reviewing my images in Lightroom I saw a fish that had jumped out of the water and was in my photo!! .

This morning we were lucky to have some awesome reflections at Merritt Island, we were also lucky to have a few skimmers pass by skimming, however, this one was created the day before the group arrived while I was out with private client and friend Deirdre Sheerr-Gross.

The grass image above was created later in the morning. I used Topaz Glow on the grasses to give it some additional lines, I finished the look off with a texture. If you would like to learn more about creative filters and adding textures-check out my eBook “A Guide to Creative Filters & Effects II”, edited by Carol Carson. Be sure and get the latest version of my filter guide, available only through A Creative Adventure.

*The very top mangrove silhouette image was the first image I created in this morning with my group. I loved this small quirky tree and the near perfect reflection. A few tweaks in Lightroom and it was done.

1. Rona Schwarz says:

These are all wonderful, as usual, Denise! I really love the silhouettes above – they are spectacular! And the GBH with a fish and full moon!! I will have to join you on this trip next year!!

2. Jim Amato says:

The Blue Heron, the moon and jumping fish are fabulous.
    Have you/would you make two images with the Blue Heron and the wonderful water color as one image and the fish and Moon as the second image?

3. Tony Botelho says:

All beautiful, and the moon/fish/GBH one is over the top! To have the fish jump at that split second was such a great gift. I love the story of how this all came about.

Love the images. That photo with the Heron, moon and fish jumping is magical. Sometimes just being in the right spot enhances your luck.

5. John Haedo says:

Nice! Florida is great for birds (it also helps if you have great talent :). I’m living in Fort Myers now and beginning to explore many new places for me.

6. Neil Hickman says:

Just lovely. What camera and lens? I’m waiting for your assessment of your Olympus OMD EM1 Mk11 & 1.4 converter with that f4 Canon 300mm lens. Particularly for action images such as birds in flight.

Denise, great images as usual. GBH, fish, sunset – sometimes perseverance pays off – right place, right time. I love the last one of the grass. It is very minimalist. Something that seems to be a growing trend with some photographic artists.

8. Jay S Kaplan says:

Denise, while all of the images are great, my favorites are the two at the top and the grass at the bottom. As always, you seem to always find a way to make the what most would seem plain, you make it even wonderful.

9. John Nelson says:

Hi denise,the moon shot with the heron is simply amazing! Congrats on a beautiful image!

Thank you so much John!