Mangroves & More

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ CLICK ON THE IMAGES TO SEE THE LARGER SHARPER VERSIONS

My workshop in Florida was over on Tuesday February 14th-Valentine’s Day. For the most part we were very lucky…why lucky? When working with wildlife you will be at the mercy of the weather, wind, local conditions and the actual wildlife that you are trying to photograph. Sometimes they just don’t do what you want them to… and conditions aren’t always what you want. Patience is important but it is also important to explore all possibilities in the field. It is best to go with the flow. We shot silhouettes, intentional pan blurs, skimming skimmers in beautiful still water, egrets dancing on the water, herons flying in with nesting material, mangroves with perfect reflections and so much more. We did this all by “going with the flow”. Here are a few of my favorites. I used my Canon 1DX with 70-200mm II lens and 2x III teleconverter for all.

After my group left, I went exploring, hoping to paddle through cypress swamps but I ended up having to go for a hike which ended up being hot and boring… at least until I took a small path off the trail as I saw what looked like a small forest. When I got closer to this forest I noticed that it was a mini Bald Cypress grove. I wondered if anyone else knew it was here and why nobody at the pay station told me about it. I had my OlympusOM-D E-M1 Mark II Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera and my Olympus ED 12-40mm f/2.8 with me and boy was I glad I did. I had so much fun composing these shots. I will be revisiting this area during a time when water levels are higher-it will be interesting to see if I can paddle out to them.

1. Alan Lillich says:

I do like what you did with the scruffy tree, the image just below the sunset.

Thanks Alan, I liked your mangrove images too!

2. Sue Eberhart says:

I feel so fortunate to have been with Denise on this workshop. I learned more about birds, how to shoot under certain conditions, about composition and processing….a total learning experience in a lovely environment. And as always, inspired by Denise’s talent and commitment to wildlife photography.

Hi Sue, thank you so much for your more than kind comments, see you at the Beach Bash if not sooner! Let me know if you need anything else for the event.

3. Dave Klein says:

Lovely images, Denise! You always stay positive regardless of conditions and subjects and look for the hidden gems others might not. Congrats on yet another successful workshop.

Thank you Dave, with wildlife photography you have to stay flexible and open to new ideas. I know you know that too 🙂

4. Pam Corckran says:

Beautiful images Denise. I too was fortunate to be in this workshop. I typically photograph flowers so I was on a huge learning curve. Thanks to Denise and the other wonderful participants, I learned so much about birds and their behaviors and patience in shooting them and how to most effectively use my camera to capture these beautiful creatures.

Hi Pam, Thank you kindly. I’m glad you stretched your wings as a photographer-no pun intended but I couldn’t resist! See you soon at Longwood.

Beautiful images. I love the reflections, the GBH “kissing” at the top of the tree, and everything you do with tree images. Bravo.

Thanks so much Diego Fennessy!

6. Carlotta Grenier says:

fantastic images, I am sorry i missed this workshop

Hi Carlotta we had a great group and you were missed, maybe next time 🙂

7. Kathleen says:

Beautiful Denisse. Where in Florida was this??

Thank you Kathleen, We were on the East Coast for the birds, I went to Central Florida for the trees.

Very nice images Denise. Those Bald Cyprus trees are neat. They almost look like something with big feet. 🙂

Thanks Ron, yes, I was thinking the same exact thing when I was photographing them!

Great set of images. Love the mangrove images with the reflection. The cypress trees at low water remind me of the Henderson Swamp in Louisiana.

Thanks James, much appreciated!

10. Steve Scott says:

The cypress tree photos are my favorites! Somehow I never capture them quite perfectly….

Thank you Steve, I want another chance at them myself!

11. Denise, will you share the locations where you worked in FL? I recently photographed the loop in Merrit Island and the Celery Fields near Sarasota. I’d really appreciate new advice on where to shoot (for next winter).
    A Big Fan of Yours,
    CK

Hi CK,
    Welcome to my blog, my group and I photographed at Merritt Island and Viera Wetlands. Other locations on the East Coast of Florida are Wakodahatchee, Green Cay, Sebastian Inlet and so many more…

12. Kristen Eder says:

I love the tree photos!! Will you share the secret spot?

Too funny, thanks so much Kristen!