Charleston, SC

I have been in Charleston for three days now, scouting and enjoying the low country life. Today I went for a drive with no particuar place in mind; I decided to explore. I had a great time driving on Rt 17. I checked out a few old hot spots and them decided to take a nice long walk off the beaten path. I spent time capturing IR images, blurs, playing around with compositions and just having a peaceful time enjoying nature. I was alone in the wilderness… and it felt great. I had no agenda and nothing but my tiny Olympus camera gear in my hands. I photographed the tree above during my long walk. For some reason I decided to turn around and there it was. It didn’t look the same from the other side so I am glad that I turned around and saw it. I added a touch of Topaz Impression to the photo to give it a softer look. I wanted the image to reflect the sense of peace that I felt while I was walking around. I’ve included a few of my other shots from today.
My workshop starts tomorrow, I am looking forward to working with everyone!

1. Dennis Bishop says:

Such variety . . . And each is beautiful. I love the last one — for how beautiful it looks and for how unexpected it is.

Hi Dennis, thank you so much 🙂

2. Sue Eberhart says:

You’ll have a wonderful time and so will the participants!

Hi Sue, thank you kindly 🙂

3. David Steele says:

Nice moody images. Trees are a great subject to photograph. I like your subtle use of Topaz Impression (and sometimes Topaz Glow) to enhance your photos. I should try it more often.

Hi David, thank you very much. I appreciate your kind words.

4. Muriel McClellan says:

All of them are just lovely. Must do that trip with you sometime.

Hi Muriel, you would love it, the mood and the subjects beckon your artistic side!

5. Lesliediana says:

They all evoke serenity. Very nice.

Hi Lesliediana, I appreciate that, thank you!

6. Diane Crowe says:

Very nice Denise. Love your sense of adventure to find new places. I’m going on that trip next year. When can I sign up?

Hi Diane, Thanks so much! I will add you to the growing list for 2018. I should be announcing it shortly.

7. Denise, what are your thoughts on aSony Alpha a7R II Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/2.8 Lens Kit vs. the Olympus mirrorless camera? I’m wanting to purchase a lighter camera for my trip to Africa.

Hi Kandace, I love the Sony Alpha a7R II, I thought I heard rumor of a new one coming soon-not sure if that matters to you or not. Both are terrific for what they do. The Sony is 40 megapixel, full frame -great for landscapes and the Olympus has that 5 axis image stabilization and only 20 megapixels. If I were to buy just one I would go with the Sony…
    hope that helps,

8. usha peddamatham says:

Love them all. Very special moments captured in Denise style.

You are too kind Usha, thank you 🙂

9. Vicki DeVico says:

I hope I can capture photos that are nearly as great as yours! If I do, this will be a very worthwhile trip! Looking forward to learning from you. 🙂

Hi Vicki, I think that you will have no trouble being inspired by this low country event. I am looking forward to working with you 🙂 See you in a few!

I envy you your day of no particular place to go! They’re the, best! Enjoy your stay and thanks for giving us a peek, too!

Hi Sharon, thank you. I am having a wonderful time!

11. Jay S Kaplan says:

As usual your photos from Charleston are always wonderful. My favorite is #2. My guess would be either part of a cemetery or part of a very old building. Love the look, especially with that lonely flower.

A 5* star rating.

Hi Jay, thank you so much. It is so nice of you to say that 🙂

Love the IR images but my favorite is the second image. Really like the feel of the image with the soft colors. Wish you would consider doing an IR workshop? (Hint, hint.)

Hi James, Thank you for the kind words. I would definitely consider one in the future, right now my plate is full and I need to try to slow things up or get an assistant 🙂

13. Tom Heiden says:

I agree with the comment above…The second image is one of the very best you’ve ever produced.

Hi Tom, thank you kindly.

14. Evelyn Young says:

Denise, you are such a star. You keep surprising us with new and innovative works of art.

Hi Evie, thank you so much 🙂

You can see compositions where I would just walk by. Glad you share your visions with us! You always inspire me to do and see more!

You are too sweet Nancy!

16. Liz Lauer says:

I love the way you share your images. All beautiful. I think my favorite is the second one.

Thank you so much Liz, I truly appreciate it.