Leaves & Topaz

I wanted to create an interesting look from a high-key leaf capture. I decided to use a combination of Topaz Impression and Glow. I often like to combine the two programs to get the effect that I am after. Before starting with the filters I did some image prep. I warped my initial base image (shown at the bottom of this post) to give the branches the look I wanted. To warp an image you can refer to one of my eBooks: Guide to Creative Filters & Effects II, Guide to Creative Blurs or my updated version of Bloomin” Ideas if you have one of them.

The top image is the way that my base image looked after I applied Topaz Impression to it. I then cropped it and cloned a few of the larger branches that I felt were distracting. Next I added a touch of Glow 2 , that image with both filters is shown directly below. Next I added a texture via Adobe Texture Pro for the image with the pinkish tone.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Topaz Impression and Glow

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Filters plus texture

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Original capture

I have a clear favorite- do you?

1. Rona Schwarz says:

Wow! What a big difference from the bottom, original tree! I am going to have to try warping! I think my favorite is the top one with Topaz Impression and Glow only – I love the high key look! You do such a great job with the high key look on all your images!

2. Dennis Bishop says:

I think your distortion and pruning were quite effective. I prefer the double-Topaz with no texture. However, if the texture were done with a gradient mask so it didn’t extend all the way down, I might like that better.

3. David Steele says:

Jean is right, you do great work with trees – just like your flower work. Difficult to choose between the two versions with Impression and Glow but I’ll go for the version without the pink texture. Look forward to learning about your favourite.

4. Carol Carson says:

Really nice! Thanks for sharing from original capture to final–an inspiration to try some.

I like the image with the pink tones. The pink texture adds a sense of “lightness” to the image. It gives the image a pastel look and a different feel than the first.

6. Neil Hickman says:

I like Dennis’s idea with the gradient mask, and perhaps more towards a red texture as the complementary colour to the lovely greens?

7. Evelyn Young says:

This is just beautiful. I have so many shots of just trees that are boring but you have taken an ordinary tree shot and made it high art. I love it. Can’t wait to try this.

8. Sandi Brittain says:

Thank you for sharing these beautiful creative images and the techniques! Difficult to choose, but will pick the pink textured image. Are you able to use Adobe Texture Pro with Photoshop CC 2017? I lost the panel way back in PSCC 2015 & have never been able to find/use it again. Thank you again. Always love to see your creative art!

9. denise says:

Hi all! Thank you for sharing your favorite with me, my favorite is the very top image, I like the softness and the flow of the image. 🙂