Kodiak Alaska

We finally landed in Kodiak yesterday after multiple delays in Newark and Chicago due to a storm in Chicago. This morning I got up early and went for a walk around the harbor. It was beautiful, I loved the fresh clean air and the sound of all the gulls, oystercatchers and eagles. I found a young eagle sitting on a perch; as I walked close to it didn’t move, so I went back to the hotel and got my camera. The bird was still there when one of my clients and I made it back to the perch. Soon other members of my group came and it turned out to be a great time. The bird was posing for us and even started to call so I decided to try a backlit shot. I took only a few shots and this was my favorite even though the head angle is slightly off I still like it.

After the bird left I took another walk around the harbor and saw lots of gulls flying around. I also saw a few eagles — 2 young and one adult. The light was getting harsh and staying on sun angle with birds in flight can be difficult if not impossible. Nonetheless, I kept on trying to get one framed without a harsh shadow line on the head or body.

Tomorrow we head out to photograph Coastal Brown Bears with cubs, I can’t wait!
* All images created with the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera and the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens with the
Extender EF 2X III attached. thanks.

1. David Steele says:

Gee, you really get around! Thanks for the great photos in this post and enjoy the bears!

Thanks David, hopefully my group will be lucky with weather and bears!

2. Dixie Pearson says:

Beautiful images, Denise! Can’t wait to see more!!

Fingers crossed!

3. If you get up to Fairbanks, there is a farm outside to the north of town called Creamers Field. There is where you will find hundreds of sandhill cranes, and some will be on nests. Have a great visit!

We will not be going to Fairbanks, but thank you for the info, maybe another time…

4. Diane Reynolds Eubanks says:

These are really beautiful Denise. I absolutely love the backlit one. Have a great trip!

Thanks Diane, I really liked that one too!

5. John Kotz says:

Great stuff! We are going to be in Alaska on a Nat Geo photo trip in August. Can hardly wait! Trying to decide what lenses to take. Advice?

Hi John, I would definitely bring a medium telephoto zoom and a long lens, but it depends on exactly where you are going–best to check with your guides as they know where you will be going and what you may need to have.

Keep those images coming! Always keeps me on my toes and inspired!
    I am only getting your blogs sporadically for some reason and wonder about those I missed.

Hi Nancy, I am having some blog newsletter glitches, sorry.

Nice images Denise. Looking forward to the bear pics.

Thanks Ron, much appreciated!

8. Vicki DeVico says:

Great start, Denise! Bodes well for the rest of your trip! Love the backlit image of the young eagle. Looking forward to seeing your bear images.

Hi Vicki, thank you so much!

9. Louise says:

Would that be in the golf of Alaska? Super photos,wish you many more!

Yes, we are in Kodiak heading to Katmai, thank you!

10. Alan Lillich says:

I agree that the backlight shot is specular. I disagree though that the head angle is off. I think it is perfect. From the lower jaw to the throat to the lower breast to the grass, you have a nice set of highlights on the left. If the head was turned towards the viewer in the supposedly Head Angle Police Approved manner you would lose the jaw highlight. Plus the bird angling away adds to the overall mood.

Thanks Alan, I really like the way you put that!

11. Don Schroder says:

Beautiful images! Love the back lighting on #3. It’s hard work, but you are so living the dream!!! Keep on keeping on!

Thanks Don, it has been a blast!

12. Catherine Dalessio says:

Really like that backlit picture. Of course, I’m partial to those! Have fun with the bears

Hi Catherine, we had a fantastic trip, I booked again for 2019.

Beautiful images. This was the best workshop ever. Thank you so much for this adventure.

Hi Jim, glad you made it home safely, it was a great trip indeed!!