Hybrid Poplar Trees

After my last two workshops I spent some time driving around with a couple of friends. I wanted to visit a tree farm that my friend Lynn Fulton wrote to me about. When my small group arrived we were immediately met with no trespassing signs everywhere. So off we went to find the owners and get permission. After a considerable amount of time finding them we were granted permission for two days. Yippee!

Once we settled on our shooting location the three of us scattered. I walked into the trees and it felt like an odd forest with lines everywhere as far as my eye could see. If I turned right there would be a pattern and if I turned left there would be a pattern. It was a dream come true for me. I have always loved trees and to be able to spend some time alone in the grove was beyond amazing for me.

I shot my regular straight shots first then moved onto in-camera multiple exposures, pan blurs and high key shots. I used my EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR Camera and my old faithful- EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens both hand held or on my Induro GIT304L Grand Series 3 Stealth Carbon Fiber Tripod.

The top image was the starting image of my pink tree image before I cropped it and tweaked the colors. Nik Glamour Glow was added to both plus a few more creative edits.

Here are a few of my favorite shots so far… I say so far as I have not gone through them all!

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Pink Trees

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ The Path

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ High Key Grove

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ The shot directly below is a 6 image multiple exposure of the exact same composition.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ This is a 6 image in-camera multiple exposure created by moving my hand held camera upward slowly between shots.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ This was one of my favorites.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ 9 image multiple exposure

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Topaz Impression applied

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ most trees stood straight and some did not 🙂

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ The soft pink version of the image directly above

I don’t want to disclose the location as the locals don’t want loads of photographers hanging around while they haul crop in and out of the surrounding area. I appreciate your understanding and not emailing me for the location.

These are all really special, but I love the pan blurred #8. So very creative!

Thanks so much Sharon, I appreciate your kind comments, I like that one too!

2. Sue Harvey Eberhart says:

Oh! Oh! and Bigger OH! Stunning work, Denise.

Thanks so much Sue, I appreciate the kind words!

3. Don Schroder says:

Really like the idea of creating different interpretations of essentially the same scene! Good to remember!

Thanks Don, I enjoyed my time with the trees.

These trees really ignited your creativity! Love the first pink Candy Land one!

Thanks so much Nancy!

5. Dennis Bishop says:

My reaction, I think, is much like Don’s. It’s great that you created so many interpretations. To my surprise, I very much like the soft foregrounds in many of the images.

Thanks Dennis, much appreciated.

6. David Gibb says:

Denise, I love ALL the treatments! If pressed, I’d pick the “6-images-in-camera” because you nailed the motion element perfectly.

Thank you so much David, I appreciate the kind words.!

Neat shots and blurs. Trees are one of my favourites too.

Thanks Ron, it’s funny how a tree can take on so many different shapes and sizes. To me they have personalities.

I like the stands of trees and all the images. The pans and blurs are my favorites. I understand why the owners do not want a lot of photographers. Hope the location is kept private as not to lose the owners trust in admitting a minimal number of photographers. Heard there was a problem in the Palouse at the old Texaco station this year with photographers on the owners property. Great images as usual. Hope Hurricane Jose does not give you a visit. Still picking up the pieces from Harvey.

Thanks so much James, and yes, we all need to respect other’s property. Hope the hurricane clean up ends soon.

9. myphuong nguyen says:

Locvely tree created painting ….. what kind of tree and what the colore of the leave? You had several colors of leave so Im confused. Thank you for sharing your creatives

Green leaves, Poplar trees. Thanks.

10. Michael Clark says:

Hi Denise. I was in one of your short workshops in PA 2 or 3 years ago (loved it!), and have seen you present in NJ a couple of times. I really appreciate your work, and I’ll try to emulate some of your techniques during an upcoming trip to Japan. Keep the photo’s coming. Best.

Hi Michael, thank you, much appreciated!

11. Kristen eder says:

Hi Denise,
    As always your photos are always inspirational and motivate me to keep my eyes open for new things to shoot! Beautiful pictures!

Thanks so much Kristen!

12. Don Poulton says:

Lovely images, Denise! I must get out and capture the upcoming fall colors in new ways.

Hi Don, thank you kindly, I can’t wait for fall colors!