Almost Home From Kenya

It has been a fantastic 2 weeks in Kenya thanks to my co-leader Paul McKenzie for sharing the Mara and all of its beauty with me and the group. I learned one important thing from the trip-your drivers matter!! We have had 3 of the best drivers and our safari vehicles could not have been better. Each of us had our own seat so that we could capture the action from both sides as well as access from the roof.

I took so many images and have just started to process them-no time… I have been up early and to bed late. This is the first time I have had a little bit of down time, as we are at Lake Bogoria photographing the Flamingos and they are literally 5 minutes from our base. We will be going out again this evening but I wanted to share a few photos with you before we do.
More on my trip later when I get home on the 11th.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ One of my favorite moments from the trip was to see the cub being carried. Client Donna Bourdon got a killer shot of the cub being carried with a few others walking beside mom.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ This Baboon carrying a baby walked right up to me, it was a good thing that I was using the Canon 100-400mm lens instead of my usual 70-200mm with 2x combo as the minimum focusing distance of the 100-400 allowed me to capture this ridiculously close shot.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography Early morning silhouette. As I was photographing this shot I noticed the graphic look that the sun created and I liked the way the white added some interest so I kept on shooting!

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ This high-key Leopard shot will hang in my bedroom, I will be printing this one-straight out of camera as many of my shots here are.

Image © 2017/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Flamingos. Thanks to Paul McKenzie for taking me out with his favorite pilot to capture some aerial shots-I of course got sick-the g-force got to me!

1. Jay S Kaplan says:

Wonderful, just like you get on PBS or the Nat Geo shows. The giraffe photo was, at this point, my favorite. I don’t know how high up you were, but that would have me bouncing off the walls. As usual, your animal photos are just as good as your flower and landscape works.

2. Sage says:

Holy cow, these are AMAZING shots!!!

I’d love to feature you in the Everyday Postcards section of my site using one of these.

Please let me know if you’re interested!

3. Ann Gridley says:

We just returned from Kenya ourselves. Loved the lion shot too. The trip began in Tanzania in the Serengeti, and on our first game drive, we had a cheetah climb on the roof of our vehicle. She swiped her paw at my camera lens which resulted in an unusual photo! Our guide took an iPhone video of her time up there.

Lovely shots that bring back many memories. Looking forward to more.

You are right and I agree – drivers do matter.

5. Cris Hamilton says:

Super images, Denise. The cub lion being carried and the baboon pic are my two favorites, but all are fantastic!!!

6. Craig Macinnes says:

Stunning images Denise. I love how your photographs show an intimacy and “kindness” with the natural world. Thank you for sharing them

7. Marilyn Barfield says:

Just wish I could have made this trip, never mind, maybe the next one. Just beautiful shots, the lioness with cub is fantastic, but then they all are. Marilyn

This has been the trip of a lifetime. Thanks for the great photo adventure. You knocked this workshop out of the park.

9. Great Shots! But you accidentally substituted a leopard for your high key cheetah.

Hi Mike, Thanks so much. I know, I couldn’t get back online to fix it after I read it 🙂 Guess I should have proofread it first! Thanks.

10. John nelson says:

Hi Denise,I would like to purchase one of your images from your recent trip to Kenya.the image you show in your blog of two lions carrying a baby just love the image! But when you see the Kenya images posted in your gallery the image is slightly different.the image I would like to purchase has the male lions tongue out almost touching the female with the baby in tow.

Hi John,

Yes, I know which image that is. I can print that image for you. I sent you an email.