Deadvlei Planet

I love creating mini-world or aka mini-planets in Photoshop. For the image above I started with a regular shot of a tree with the Milky Way in the background captured at Deadvlei in Namibia. What I did a little differently for the top image is I blurred the background a bit and made the “tree ball” look more graphic. For the complete how-to check out my previous blog post HERE.
For the bottom image I used the second tutorial in that link above and added the center starburst in Photoshop with a free Photoshop brush from Brusheezy . I showed this technique during my Photoshop demo for GCA in Kentucky.

For more creative ideas check out my eBook “A Guide to Creative Filters & Effects II” , edited by Carol Carson. Available only through A Creative Adventure.

1. pat lillich says:

love these – but especially all those running flamingo feet!

Thanks Pat, much appreciated!

Super creative! Love all those red flamingo legs running in a circle and the distinct heads in the center! In the first image, is the tree ball added after the original mini-world is created?

Hi Nancy, No, the polar coordinates created it from the ground of the original image.
    Thanks, denise

3. Carol L Nichols says:

Both of these are off the charts fabulous Denise! What a feast for my eyes.

Hi Carol, Thank you so much

4. Catherine Dalessio says:

I really like that first one: looks like it could be sold as a Christmas card. What great imagination and creativity. That’s why my stuff looks like everyone else and yours is always a step above!

Hi Catherine, you are too kind, thank you. I appreciate it. It’s funny that you see it as a Christmas card, so do I !

5. Alejandro Furman says:

Denise:
    Deadvlei: Fantastic beyond words.
    My best.
    Alex

Hi Alex, thank you so much, I appreciate your kind words.

6. I have fallen in love with using your crystal ball effect. I even made a Photoshop action so I could easily repeat it. Thanks for creating it!

Hi Martin, good thinking, I have an action too!

7. XLogic says:

I think your portfolio bird and landscape shots are fantastic. I just began my photography journey, and your photos really inspire me. Thanks.

8. Vicki Santello says:

Your post processing creativity is so unique Denise. Thanks for sharing your techniques. !!

Thank you so much Vicki!

9. Michael barnes says:

I like taking pastel colour flowers, that’s why I follow your books.
    Have you shown a lesson using Threshold and a mask to get a dreamy look on a image?

Hi Michael, no I haven’t but feel free to share. I have shown how to use Gaussian blur and blend modes to do that.
    Thanks, denise