I am still in Bosque, my group had their first shooting session tonight. Tomorrow morning we head out early but I wanted to give you some stocking stuffer ideas for your friends and family members that love photography, also some good ideas to direct your family members to if you, yourself are the photographer in the family. I’ll be back with shots from Bosque once I have had time to sort through them!
1) A must have in all camera bags is the largest Rocket Blower Dust Remover that is made, don’t get the smaller ones as they don’t work. Giottos Rocket Blaster B&H -$11.99
3) External Hard Drive, I use the Western Digital 4TB My Passport USB 3.0 Secure Portable Hard Drive (Black or White) B&H- $104.99
4) Lens Cleaners for in the field, I have been using these and love them. They are a two part wipe- one dry wipe and one wet wipe. Hoodman Lens Cleanse Natural Lens Cleaning Kit (12 Pack) B&H $9.99
5) Microfiber Cloth. Nikon Micro Fiber Cleaning Cloth B&H $8.69
6) 12″ Collapsible reflectors. I carry these in my back pocket when I photograph flowers. They are especially useful in tight quarters or when working at a public garden.
7) For sand removal I like to get an angled brush in my gear bag that I can use to clean my camera of sand and debris after blowing it. The angled brush allows me to get inside every nook and cranny. Available at most hardware stores.
8) A good flashlight is a must in any gear bag. Read the reviews here to choose the one that best suits your gift needs. I am not a fan of headlamps. Most folks when working in a group either forget to turn them off or shine them (inadvertently) at a fellow participant or me 🙂 or even worse at the subject or scene when others are trying to photograph. I like a small, powerful, compact flashlight that is reliable.
9) Teleconverters are a great idea. If you don’t own the newest versions you may want to put it on your holiday list. I love my Canon 1.4 version III teleconverter. I also use the 2x III teleconverter. If you are buying one as a gift I would recommend the 1.4 over the 2x.
10) Buffs, I’ve said it before but they are versatile and can be used in so many ways in the field. Choose the one that fits your photography and add it to your wishlist. This UK link sells the buffs I like at a discounted price from the US company. They also make lightweight buffs that are good in Africa to keep your hair out of your face. Once you wet them, they keep you cool!