Bye, Bye Bosque…

At least for now…

I just finished up with my group as our time together in Bosque del Apache has come to an end. I feel a little sad saying goodbye to so many good friends and photographers; they were a stellar group, most of which I have worked with before. It was a slightly more difficult year for photography in that even though the birds were plentiful, some were too far away (at times)or the sun angle was bad. But, having thousands of Snow Geese blasting off directly overhead never gets old!!!

On our last full day together I decided that the wind and skies were good for the flight deck so we took our spots on the deck and waited. It ended up being a good decision as we were treated to some tremendous colors and the birds cooperated just enough! All in all great colors in the sky, numerous birds, variety of subject and just the feel as you drive the loop road is reason enough for me to keep coming back. Here are a few of my images from my workshop days. I shot exclusively with the Canon 5D Mark IV and the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 lens+ 2EX so that I could be mobile to assist my clients at all times.

1. Dave Klein says:

Hi Denise – your talent and experience always make the most of the opportunities given. Images of Bosque always tug at me to return; it is also where we first met back in 2009 ? It is a bit discouraging to learn of the current conditions and the challenges for image making, however I am sure you and your group had a great time! Thank you for sharing these wonderful images – Dave

Hi Dave, yes, that is where we met 🙂 I still love the Bosque! It is always going to hold fond memories of blast-offs and cranes.

2. I haven’t been back to the Bosque since 2013. The longer I’m away, the stronger it tugs at me to return. I’m so sorry to hear the conditions are deteriorating. That’s a true tragedy.
    As usual, your images are amazing. Love the eagle in the tree.

Thank you Brent, it is a magical place for me and sometimes I get a little discouraged but the photo opps are there-you may have to dig deeper is all.

Fantastic images!! And I love, love those super blurs!!!

4. Deborah Kral says:

Beautiful collection of images (as always), Denise!

Thank you Deb, much appreciated!

5. Sue Harvey Eberhart says:

I, too, am feeling wistful remembeing my visit there with you few years ago. It was windy, bitter cold and snowy….but I would not trade the fine memories nor group of kind, helpful and encouraging photographers for anything. Your super blurs send me over the moon as well as your other stunning images. Bosque is indeed a very special place.

Hi Sue, we had a good year that year! Bosque does have a way of calling you back, doesn’t it!

6. Jackie Ross says:

Love looking at all your fabulous images from Bosque!! just breath taking..Jackie Ross

Hi Jackie, thank you so much, I appreciate it 🙂

7. Wonderful images Denise! I have heard numerous times that the conditions for photography have deteriorated over the years. What, specifically, has changed? Thanks for your input.

Hi Vicki,
    They closed off one of the roads this year but each year there seems to be a new challenge to face. Still it’s a wonderful location.
    Denise

8. Liam Jensen says:

Hi Denise, always admired your fine art photography and been on mailing list for years. I was curious as to how the conditions have deteriorated – if you can say . . .

Hi Liam,
    There use to be corn that was planted closer to the road and we were able to get flight shots of single birds as they came in one after another to feed.Now with the corn planted in fields that have obstructed views or are far away it makes photography more difficult. Still, it is a wonderful place to photograph.

Thanks denise

Neat pictures. Thanks for bringing back memories. 🙂

Thanks Ron, I still remember our days in Bosque!

10. Lynn Fulton says:

You really do have a knack for making the best of any situation. You still managed to capture some killer shots – and I’m sure you hunted down every single person in your group and taught them something new! 🙂

Hi Lynn, you are so sweet, thanks so much!

11. Carol Johnson says:

Love your images! The Bosque is always enchanting.

Thank you Carol, I appreciate your kind words.

12. Ramona Boone says:

Denise besides being a wonderful photographer, your thoughtful teaching comes through when you mention “…being more mobile…” to assist other…and you still manage beautiful photos!

Thanks Ramona, you are so nice and I appreciate your kind comments.

I love the blurred image with the tree…3rd one down! All beautiful!

Thanks so much Sharon, I appreciate it!

14. Linda Seal says:

Denise, I loved getting to be part of your group last week. It’s so much fun to see your images and learn from you. Can’t wait to be with you again for another adventure. (Glad to see your “duck butt” image made the cut – so creative.)

Hi Linda, it was nice to meet you and spend time with you! Can’t wait for our next adventure too! Glad it made the cut too, it was a talented group! 🙂