A Backward Glance ~ 2017

I wanted to finish off the year with a post that took a look back at my year and all of my happenings. I am truly blessed to be able to lead this amazing life, doing what I love. I thank all of you for your support and encouragement of my work. I wish you all a very Happy Holiday Season and a fantastic New Year filled with family, love and great images! Out of respect for your family holiday time and also mine I will not be posting another blog or social media post until after the new year.
Hugs,
Denise

My year started off with a simple post titled “Going Beyond a Snapshot”. It was a post that shared some of my experiences and feelings and how they relate to my photography. It’s always interesting to me to read your comments as your words matter to me and your responses matter to me. When you comment on my blog it makes me feel as though you are out there listening and I am not alone in my thoughts. So thank you to all of you that have commented on my many blog postings this past year–you keep me engaged. Right after that post I published another one titled “A Defining Moment” . In that blog post I shared some of my struggles as I found my voice in photography.
Next I shared the news about my grandson Jaxson’s 2nd surgery. It was a difficult journey for Jaxson this past year as he had to undergo surgery and rehab along with lots and lots of therapies. He never quits or gets discouraged, he is a trooper and an angel all wrapped up in one!

Jaxson with his younger brother Tanner ~ My daughter captured this with her iPhone at Jaxson’s rehab facility.

In February my good friend Jim Fennessy informed me that my Rockhopper Penguin shot was featured in the Wall Street Journal; that was pretty cool!

My blog post titled “Olympus 300mm for Birds… or for the Birds???” turned out to be one of my most popular blog posts of the year with a record number of hits. It did not get a lot of comments though… Apparently a lot of folks are trying to lighten the load of their gear–especially for birds. I am still not switching over to Olympus for my bird or wildlife photography but I absolutely love my Olympus gear for travel and flower photography. I will be using Sony for my landscape photography.

Image © 2017/Jim Fennessy Photography

In addition to the heavy travel schedule and multiple workshops, lectures and private client days that I conducted this past year. I filmed for Awesome Planet. It was indeed a thrill to be asked to do this segment. It’s scheduled to air again in December if you didn’t see it already.

One of my favorite blog posts this past year was titled “Distracted” , maybe because it was also one of my favorite days in the field.

Next I got the news that my image “Snow Globe” won the category for birds in Big Picture Natural World Photo Competition 2017. I photographed that shot at Bosque del Apache, NM. I was extremely thrilled to have won after spending 12 hours in the field to capture it.

I was very happy to publish my newest eBook this year “Bird Photography ~ The Art of the Composition” edited by Marion Bodart. Marion did a terrific job! Sales of this eBook have been off the chart and I am extremely proud of this book. Available only through A Creative Adventure.

This year was my first time doing aerial photography from a plane with no doors. I had gone up last year in Namibia in a helicopter but that was a cakewalk compared to this. Thanks to Paul McKenzie for arranging the flight for me.

All in all I have had a very action packed adventurous year. I get asked all the time if I plan to slow down anytime soon. My answer is maybe in 2019, I’ll take a little more time for myself and for my own photography… Below are some of my favorite shots from 2017, they are not in any specific order.

1. Janet Delight says:

What a year you’ve had! Thank you for sharing your beautiful photography and for being so generous with your knowledge. Best wishes to you and your family for the Merriest Christmas and the Happiest New Year!
    Looking forward to 2018!
    Cheers, Janet

2. Amazing Shots.

I am incredibly happy to meet you in person and observer you in the field by taking couple of workshops…

Learn a lot and looking forward to meet you again some time soon.

Thank you for your kind advice.

3. Don Schroder says:

Congrats on a terrific year! I remember seeing nearly all of them. I’m sure it was difficult narrowing the selection down.Thanks for sharing.

Wishing you and the family Merry Christmas and a happy, healthy, prosperous and peaceful New Year

4. Carlotta Grenier says:

You are an incredibly talented girl and it is a joy to see your passion and be part of your adventures

5. Tish Underwood says:

Wow, stunning images! An adventure-filled year is putting it mildly. Looking forward to meeting you and learning from you in person in Bandon in September 2018!

6. sue eberhart says:

What a year for you, Denise! I still say, “WOW!” when I look at the images you have included here. In fact, I say, “WOW!” a lot when I read your blog or am fortunate enough to travel with you. Happiest of Christmas’ to you and wishes for a healthy and glorious New Year!

7. Cheryl says:

Hi, Denise, absolutely incredible images and lots of well deserved
    accolades. What an amazing year!
    See you in Venice 🙂

Beautiful images merging wildlife, nature and art as only you can do. But, the text of the year end review blog is incomplete. You failed to mention that your Rockhopper Penguin image spent the year hanging in the Smithsonian Natural History Museum as the winner of the Windland Smith Rice International Awards, and that this captivating image graced the cover of Nature’s Best Photography magazine. I learned so much shooting with you this year, and can’t wait to start off the New Year with your penguin friends in the Falklands.

These are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!! Love everyone of them!

Joy and Love to you and your family!

10. Ginger white says:

Just love all of your shots! From flowers to landscapes to wildlife, you are so versatile and always throw in something really unusual and creative to intrigue your viewers. Happy holidays to you and your family! Looking forward to more posts in 2018!

11. Lynn Rogers says:

Denise, you are such an inspiration to me. Your compositions and post processing never cease to amaze me and often take my breath away. Jaxson’s story always touches my heart. Thank you for your generosity in sharing not only your work but your knowledge. I look forward to following your 2018 adventures and hope to meet you in the coming year. Enjoy you holidays, and Happy New Year.

12. Ann Laubach says:

Oh my gosh! What an incredible collection. Each one is spectacular! I have book marked this page because it is so inspiring that I know I will want to go back to it many times. And congratulations on all your achievements this year. You clearly worked hard and it has paid off!

Drooling! Thank you so much for sharing you, and your images with us! I draw so much inspiration from you and your work, and want you to know how much I appreciate the effort and time you give us by sharing. Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hope Santa is extra good to Jaxson and Tanner!

14. Clemens Vanderwerf says:

Amazing images as always!!! Keep them coming Denise. Happy holidays to you and the family and hope to see you in Florida soon.

15. Thank you for continuing to share your passion for photography through your blog, your workshops and especially through your eyes. It is always exciting to see what you post. Your workshops may repeat, however your workshops always add new ideas and techniques – you are a blessing to the photography community – enjoy every well deserved moment of the holiday season.

16. Vicki says:

Have a wonderful holiday, Denise. You are such an inspiration as a photographer and even more so as an artist. I love following your work and am grateful to have been able to listen to your story when you visited the Nature and Wildlife Photographers of Long Island. Hoping that one day I can join you on one of your workshops. You should be so proud of having touched so many people through your art. Best always, Vicki

17. Lyn Lang says:

What an amazing range of images from a very talented woman! You remain at the top of my favourite photographers list? Merry Christmas to you and yours from a very hot New Zealand summer,
    hugs, Lyn

18. Linda Seal says:

Wow! What a beautiful collection of images. Enjoy having some down time and being with your family over the holidays. When I look back on this year, I realize that meeting you was a wonderful highlight. You are an inspiration. Happy Holidays.

Denise, thank you for sharing your year and your images with all of us who are unable to be in all those places. It is greatly and graciously appreciated.

My best wishes for a happy holiday season and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year. As my old Latin teacher would say – “Sic transit gloria mundi.”

20. Dean Tomlinson says:

Denise, I just wanted to say that I look forward to your blogs and I am constantly inspired by your work. Everytime I see your photos I always tell myself that I want to be the type of photographer that you are and shoot the sort of subjects that you shoot. No matter what category of photography you do, it’s always incredibly amazing. I’ve purchased almost all your ebooks and watched the B&H videos that you have done on Youtube. I look forward to another year of inspiration. Thanks for all you’ve done for all who follow this blog and your work.

21. Susan Scharenberg says:

Thank you Denise for the recap of your favorite images. I so admire your work, and hope to to a flower or Iceland workshop with you someday.

Wishing you all the best in 2018!

22. michael pollak says:

Thanks for all your hard work preparing this blog and sharing beautiful examples of your photography. Best wishes for the holidays and new year. Michael

Thanks for sharing your travels, photos and tips. Hope to join you in ’18/19 for a workshop. Carol and I wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy and safe New Year.

24. Pam Corckran says:

Just beautiful, each and every image. Have a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year with your family. I hope to see you some time in 2018 – earlier rather than later.

25. David Steele says:

What a great year you have had, Denise, thank you for sharing so much of it with us. Your blog is the only one I follow. . . .
    Talking of the Olympus 300 mm, it is without doubt the best lens I have ever owned. It may not be the best for flight photography (and I guess this is where you are coming from) but it sure ticks all the other boxes. It was such a pleasure travelling into the Kalahari Desert recently with two small (and light) Olympus camera bodies and three Olympus Pro lenses. I lacked for nothing and was thrilled with the results.
    I wish you and yours a very happy and rewarding 2018.

26. Neil Hickman says:

One day I’ll get out of Oz – – OR – Denise Down Under. THAT would be something! Thanks for your feedback on the lighter Olympus gear and to David Steele for his comments above that will make me think again. Weight will be an issue for me. You have inspired me to try so many things. May it long continue. Thank you for so much good advice and sharing such brilliant photography with us. Best wishes to you and your family.

27. donna joy a. yang says:

Dear Denise,

Thank you for sharing loads of beautiful photographs u took.it s very inspiring..and it soothes me. With the internet media bombarded with hate news..this one does the other way around. We do live in a beautiful world.

Merry christmas and great new year ahead!

28. Lori Franzen says:

Wonderful images! You truly have a gift, Denise. Best wishes for a happy holiday and all good things in the New Year.

29. Natasha Tofield says:

You are so talented! Your touch is light and creative! I look forward to every post. Thank you for sharing! Best wishes to your family.

30. Bob Miller says:

Thanks for sharing your work! I always find it inspiring! your work is unique.! I find you to be one of the very best photographers out there. I look forward to next years blogs and photos

31. Bob Melnyk says:

Beautiful job narrowing your year of photography into this selection of a few photos, a nice overview of your work – but we all know their is SO MUCH MORE..!!!! Thank you Denise

Truly an amazing year. Thank you for sharing your experiences and images with us. My best wishes for 2018.