Falklands Trip Report

I have been offline for quite a few days now as I have travelled to the Falkland Islands and back with my group. Our first stop was Santiago Chile before heading to the Falklands. Our itinerary started with Sea Lion Island. Host Micky was especially nice and helpful. We saw and photographed all the usual species that are found on Sea Lion including, Sea Lions, fighting Elephant Seal, Striated Caracara, Gentoo Penguin, Rockhopper Penguin, Blue-eyed Shag aka Imperial Cormorant, Magellanic and Blackish Oystercatcher and one lone King Penguin. There was rumor of a Macaroni Penguin but we never did see it. One of my favorite things about Sea Lion is that you can walk the island easily and see a lot of diversity. It was a great introductory island for the group.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

Finding clean or colorful backgrounds in a colony can sometimes be difficult, however, it is not impossible if you look for them. I love getting down low and going in tight.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

Next we flew to Saunders Island where Suzan and David hosted us in our small- cozy accommodation. Though extremely basic it functions well as it has all the essentials needed (when you bring your own food). The world class photography is second to none. The Albatross colony, King Penguin, Gentoos, Rockhoppers, Striated Caracara, Skua and Cormorants are more than enough to keep you engaged, not to mention the other species that are all around.

During our time on Saunders my group and I witnessed a King Penguin egg hatch. The head of the chick peeked out of the shell –it was an amazing thing to witness and one I will remember all of my life. One of the things that I like about the Neck on Saunders is the sense of isolation. At times you feel as though you are out on the island all by yourself and you have the freedom to move around the colony (with careful, respect for the birds).

Our next stop was Bleaker Island. Mike, Phil and Nick hosted our stay. I had not been there for two years and things had changed a bit as the shag colony – one of the largest around had moved down the hill a bit and several of the Rockhopper colonies had also moved. On our first late afternoon shoot we hit the beach to photograph Gentoo Penguins jumping out of the surf! It was great fun and one of the highlights I had remembered from my previous visits to the Falklands.

1. Marsha Gibson says:

Superb images as only you can deliver! I absolutely love the ones of baby penguin hatch as well as the close ups!

2. Dave Klein says:

Welcome back, Denise! What an outstanding array of images, with many very intimate moments captured!! No doubt you and your group shared an amazing adventure. I most certainly hope to make the trek there one day, with you leading the group. Your vision to see and capture the moment is extraordinary! Thanks for sharing ?

3. Deirdre Sheerr-Grosd says:

It was over the Moon!!
    The best… as are you in all ways/always.
    Much gratitude & affection

4. Carlotta Grenier says:

This was an outstanding experience in many ways. Great Group, great opportunity for experiencing and photographing the wildlife that was all around us. On the beaches, I felt like being one with the gentoo’s and the albatross colonie’s where out of this world. You did a great job of helping on seeing different point of views and including natural elements into the images. This trip Denise was one of my greatest ever

Beautiful images Denise. This Falklands trips was amazingly great. Thanks for the helpful tips while Photographing the albatross, penguins and the elephant seal fights on the beach at sunset. I will always cherish this experience. You rock!

I was looking forward to seeing your Falkland images. These are fantastic! The egg-chick is so very special. This is one of those places I could visit over and over.

7. Vicki Santello says:

Brava Denise! Your skills and creative eye shine through all of your images. Thanks you for sharing them and the details of the trip. The Falklands is very high on my List! See you and Paul SOON ????

8. Kris Morgan says:

WooHoo!!! Your beautiful, creative images tell the story of an amazing and wonder-filled photo dance!!!

9. Catherine Dalessio says:

Boy, have you really got some beauties there! I particularly love that little side view of the hatching King chick coming out of the egg with the parent looking down and the gentoo with the georgeous sky. I just love the Falklands but when we were there we had 20-25 knot winds every day and the coldest day ever recorded in January with snow and rain! After seeing your pictures, I’d like a “do over”!!

10. Linda Seal says:

Amazing! Your images, as always, are an inspiration. Your talent, commitment and love of what you do always shine through in your images.

11. Tony Botelho says:

Great photographs, looks like it was a lot of fun. How special that was seeing that chick coming out of the egg! Thank you for sharing.

12. Tony Botelho says:

One more comment, I looked at the photographs again and had not noticed the first time, but the next to the last photo of the Rockhopper looks like it is just levitating, great capture!

13. Tom Kappel says:

R5A5161 my choice for the best picture! Wonderful focus and blur, great softness overall to the photo. To me a fine art painting.

14. John Zimmerman says:

Amazing photos. I was in the Falklands for a few hours during a cruise stop. I never got to see what you were able to photograph. Thank you for sharing your experience.

15. Glorious images capture your wondrous trip.
    Each image reflects your artistry and skills.
    A true joy to view . . . simple magnificence!!
    Thank you for sharing.
    Best regards,
    Marc

16. denise says:

Thank you all very much, I had an amazing trip and seeing the chick hatch was a highlight for me. Thank you again for the kind words.

17. Sandi Brittain says:

Fabulous images, as always! The chick hatch is truly special, —- hope everyone in the group was able to get a great angle for shots of that remarkable moment. Thank you for sharing!

Thank you so much!

18. Catherine Dalessio says:

For pictures of Kings with eggs and tiny baby chicks, I think the colony in the Falklands is much better than So Georgia. Your picture are definite proof!

Hi Catherine, The colony at Saunders (Kin Penguin) is small but I knew going at this time would possibly put my group in position to capture the KP chicks–we lucked out with a small colony of 22-24 we only saw about 8 on eggs. Right time right place, I quite prefer South Georgia for the snow backgrounds if you are lucky 🙂

19. Suzette says:

These are incredible, Denise! What fun watching the penguins in the surf. I’d like to be you when I grow up.

Thank you so much!