Color Mood Swings

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

I created a very soft effect for this rose image. I used a very shallow depth of field for the initial capture using the Voigtlander 42.5 Macro lens attached to my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera .

The Voigtlander is an f/0.95 lens that produces a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 85mm when used on a Micro Four Thirds body. It is built solid with some weight, given its size. It is a manual focus lens but is capable of creating a dreamy bokeh when shooting wide open and I love the lens and can’t wait to use it again.

I was hand holding for this shot and it is difficult to shoot this lens wide open without focus peaking. Since it is a third party lens, I have had trouble getting the focus peaking to work. I have tried assigning it to a seperate button–that does not work. I have tried some of the tricks I found online that worked with the 5D Mark II Olympus but it doesn’t work with the newer camera body.

In post processing I rotated the image slightly and cropped it just a teeny bit. Then I added some negative clarity to create even more softness. To add the negative clarity just take the clarity slider in ACR to the left instead of to the right. But before I did I went into Photoshop, duplicated the layer then went to Filter>Camera Raw Filter and applied the negative clarity–this way I was able to apply it only to the areas that I wanted with a layer mask. I also changed the color tone for each of these. I used the Temperature and Tint sliders to do that. Which do you prefer? For me it always depends on my mood or the subject.

Get the gear you'll need to capture your memories

Check out all of the Photo Gear youll need. Steady up your Shots Get a Tripod Check out all of the Photo Gear youll need. Get Spare Cards and Readers Protect your Gear Get Bags and Cases Dont forget that Lens Select a Spare Camera

1. Andrea Boyle says:

Oh, and to answer your question, I like the first one the best. The warmer feel just hits me right on a winter day, I guess! 🙂

Thanks Andrea, I agree 🙂 warmth on a winter day-it is freezing here in Jersey!

2. pat lillich says:

lovely – the second one is dreamier..

Hi Pat, miss you 🙂 Can’t wait to see you guys!

3. Edward Shulman says:

The first one because the deeper yellow gives it more contrast. It wows you rather than sneaking up on you like the second one. The second one gives you the impression of being less sharp because of lower contrast. Beautiful in different ways.

Thank you very much Edward, I appreciate you sharing your comments.

4. Glenn p says:

Can’t go wrong with either image , but I like the warmer image better . I love my voightlander macro too! I found it difficult to use at first , but with your help I am getting images that I just could not get with any other lens. I am also am using this lens on the Olympus OMD EM1 mark ii.

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, glad you like the lens–it is special!

5. Kris Morgan says:

Love them both however prefer the super softness of the second image. Have always loved playing with negative clarity and you do it so very well. Bravo!!!

Hi Kris, you are so kind, thank you!

6. Cynthia Lockwood says:

They’re both gorgeous, but I prefer the first one. The warm golden tones are beautiful.

Cynthia, thank you kindly!

Very nice. Hard to say which one I prefer. Both look great to me.

I, for one, really appreciate these “processing” tips that you share. Thanks for that. 🙂

Hi Ron, thank you, glad to know that they are appreciated.

8. Floyd Summerhayes says:

Beautiful image, been using the Voigtlander for a long time, I think the contrast detect focus cameras worked better at 0.95 with peaking. I wonder if there’s not enough contrast with the lovely dreaminess for peaking to work.

Hi Floyd, I think you make a good point. thank you!

9. Mary Van Deusen says:

So soft & lovely!
    Both versions are beautiful but if had to choose number 2 has the slightest lead for me
    Your work is always a delight to see!

Thank you so much Mary, I appreciate your thoughts.

10. Donnie Fulks says:

As you have so beautifully shown, negative clarity can be quite useful. Dehaze is another mid tone contrast slider/algorithm in ACR that can be creatively applied with negative effect also (I’m certain you know this too) I stumbled across something you might want to try sometime: working Clarity and Dehaze against each other. I had some mist at the base of a large waterfall that I wanted to bring out so applied a bit of negative dehaze. As expected, that brought the mist out but it looked, well a bit hazy. Then I had the epiphany to apply a a couple of points of positive clarity to bring some definition back to the foggy mist. By going back and forth between the two sliders using very small moves at a time the perfect blend of clear softness was achieved and thin it is an easy matter to paint the effect in where it was needed. I haven’t seen this described before, probably because Adobe placed dehaze in such a weird location in ACR- it should be in the main adjustment panel. Anyway, I thought you might have fun playing with it. My inspiration to playfully explore comes from you.

Hi Donnie, thank you for sharing and I will absolutely give it a try! I agree-Dehaze should be in the main adjustment panel.

11. They are both lovely!! I usually prefer cool tones, but for this image I lean towards the warmer image. But, as said, they are both lovely!

Hi Marilyn, hope you are keeping warm this winter! Thank you for the kind comment.

12. Tom Rostron says:

It’s hard to choose one. I like both. Very nice

Hi Tom, thanks! We will have to get together for dinner again, it was fun!

13. My personal favorite is the first one. I always like warmer tones in my photos but what stands out on the first photo is the warmer highlights that appear to be “beams of light” streaming through the petals.

Glad you gave this mini tutorial. I had forgotten about using ACR filter inside Photoshop so to take advantage of masking.

Hi Kandace, glad to have reminded you. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

14. Sue Eberhart says:

This is one of my favorite “Denise” images and a style of photography I love. Thank you for sharing your approach and techniques.

Hi Sue, thank you so much!

15. Sandi Brittain says:

Both images are so beautiful that it is difficult to choose! I too have found the focus peaking with my OMD to be difficult to use when there is low contrast in an image such as this. I have purchased all of your books and hope to take one of your workshops someday. In the meantime, a sincere thank you for a blog that is always inspiring, educational and thoughtful.

Hi Sandi,
    Thank you for your very kind comments, it’s comments like this that keep me inspired to share.