Part I ~ Japan

We are heading to Hokkaido this morning and probably won’t arrive until after dinner. I wanted to share some of my favorite images from the trip so far. The monkey head shots are my favorites to compose- each one is so different and their personalities come out. Click on the images to see the larger, sharper version.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ This old monkey captured my heart with its soulful-worn out look. I looked for this monkey over and over again but only saw it on the very first day

The first segment of our Japan trip was in Kyoto (pre-trip) and then our next few days have been spent with the Snow Monkeys at Jigokudani Yaen-koen which opened its doors in 1964. I imagine back then there were not quite as many visitors as there are now! There have been some changes to this location over the years while I have been coming. The installation of the railing a couple of years back was the first sign of things to come. This year a new entrance way and higher prices–though the price is still reasonable. My thoughts are if you want to visit the Snow Monkeys do it sooner than later. It has gotten increasingly busier every year. In fact next year 2019, will be our (Paul and I) last workshop in Japan. We have 3 spots open if anyone wants to join us, CLICK HERE for more info.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Snow days!!

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography

While in Kyoto we visited a few of the temples and shrines, the bamboo gardens and we also did some street photography. It was a lot of fun and a great way to get accustomed to Japan, especially if you have never been. My favorite locations of course were Arashiyama Bamboo Grove with the amazingly beautiful stands of bamboo and Fushimi Inari Shrine with all of the vermilion torii gates.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Pan blur at 1/5 sec. handheld.

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ An old worn out gate at the Bamboo Grove

Image © 2018/Denise Ippolito Photography ~ Vermilion Torii Gates of Fushimi Inari with a 4 image multiple exposure done in-camera.

Our street photography in the early evening was fun, especially when we would see a Geisha girl walking down the street with their meticulously kept hair, white face and fancy garb.

* The top featured image is a slow shutter speed (1/4 sec, handheld)vertical pan blur of some old wooden slats-the blue at the bottom is from the weathered/shaded wood.

Get the gear you'll need to capture your memories

Check out all of the Photo Gear youll need. Steady up your Shots Get a Tripod Check out all of the Photo Gear youll need. Get Spare Cards and Readers Protect your Gear Get Bags and Cases Dont forget that Lens Select a Spare Camera

1. donna joy a. yang says:

Thank you Denise..wonderful shots.its beautiful.

Thank you Donna, much appreciated.

Beautiful images. The snow monkey portraits are amazing. You don’t seem to be missing your 600mm.

Hi Jim, no not yet–but I never used my 600mm with the Snow Monkeys. I usually used my 300mm lens.
    Thanks, denise

3. Pat lillich says:

Beautiful- your japan tour is one of my favorite memories.

Hi Pat, thanks, I am happy to hear you are/were with Muriel for the Drake crossing. Hope you guys get to see more of Patagonia too!

4. sue eberhart says:

I enjoy these splendid images every year, Denise. They are very special.

Thanks Sue, much appreciated!

5. Muriel McClellan says:

More outstanding images of snow monkeys. Yes.. in the snow. Agree it was one of the most memorable trips I have taken. If anyone has any interest…don’t miss this.

Hi Muriel, we did have fun. Thanks for sending Patte to me, she is a delight to work with!

6. Don Schroder says:

I always look forward to seeing your Japan images and these are wonderful. Thanks for sharing and look forward to seeing more.

Thanks so much Don, I appreciate it.

7. Glenn p says:

Hi Denise,
    It is easy having complete confidence that I will love my print of your favorite image from this trip . Can’t wait to get it. And, cranes yet to come!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn, so far that first monkey is a contender!

8. Vickie McEnroe says:

Denise, thank you for letting all of us share your trip from the comfort of our warm chairs.

Thank you so much Vickie!

9. Vicki says:

I always enjoy seeing your perspective Denise. The trip has been great so far with lots to more to come! Vicki

Hi Vicki, It is nice to share this experience with you!

10. Wow, that first one is really special. And I love the running monkeys. Great images again Denise, thanks for sharing.

Hi Leoni, Thank you so much, I appreciate it!

11. Jay Gould says:

Denise, from when we first met on BPN your art has skyrocketed from good to fantastic. TFS!! PS: Love your eBooks.

Hi Jay, I appreciate your kind words, they mean a lot to me!

12. Peggy Richter says:

Denise, these are stunning! Thanks so much for sharing and continuing to be an inspiration!

Thanks so much Peggy, I appreciate it.

13. Rich Doerr says:

The eyes and hands of the monkeys are eerily human looking. Intriguing subjects.

Thank you Rich, I agree!

14. Catherine Dalessio says:

I love your fresh interpretation of the tori gates with the multiple exposures—really nice!

Thanks Catherine! much appreciated!